Thursday, May 22, 2014

My first night light looked like a dog

Not that I don't like dogs, but geez! It wasn't suppose to look like a dachshund!



I was pretty happy with how it came out, but I couldn't get over the dog thing.  Plus the extruded clay was  wonky, I kept getting finger nail marks on it, so I decided to use a little tool and dimple it.  And there were some minor gaps again between the framing strips and the translucent.  But I did like the combination of jungle and celery again! 

So I took it apart.  I was a little disheartened at how easily it came apart.  I had cured the flat pieces first and then put them together with the framing strips to cure again.  I did have trouble getting the the strips to stick to the cured flat pieces.  A new engineering problem.  

So when I reworked the design, I put it together using liquid translucent to bind the pieces.  Worked like a charm.  


Lesson learned: Uncured clay adheres fine to uncured clay.  Uncured clay to cured clay? not so much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment