Thursday, May 22, 2014

Faux stained glass - the beginning

Recently I had an idea that I would like to make night light shades using translucent polymer clay.  As a lover of the Art Deco and Arts and Crafts art movements, I decided this would be a great way to work in those styles.    

So to start I ordered on line Translucent Pardo Art Clay (a lot),  Adirondack alcohol inks (bunches of colors), and a stock of Translucent Liquid Sculpey.   I also ordered night light bases and clips to hold the shade and stocked up on LED night light bulbs.  Since these run much cooler, I was more comfortable with them next to cured polymer clay.  

Stocked up, my night light adventure begins.

My first shot was a little design, just to test out using all these new (to me) materials.  I love the colors the inks and the translucent clay yield.  LOVE them.

As a lover of green, I had recently discovered the Premo!  color jungle.  A rarity for me, I liked it so much I didn’t even blend it with other colors.  To complement the jungle color, I used the ink color celery.   What a wonderful combination that turned out in my first practice piece.  



Boy, did I have a lot to learn!  Looks good, right?  Close inspection showed a lots of gaps between the extruded Premo! clay and the dyed translucent.  And right after I photographed it, I picked it up and it fell apart!!  The pieces came apart and the extruded clay fell away from the flat pieces.  My technique definitely needs work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment